Saturday, August 3, 2013

Double Mowing & Reciprocal Gradient Accent

Actually, that should be "double double mowing". Aaron's uncle went out and bought us a brand-spankin' new mower! *throws confetti* Not only that, he fixed his old mower by attaching a spring to the "user presence" switch so it doesn't matter that the cord snapped off. It's a tad tricky getting it to shut off, but it works! So we had two mowers going to mow their yard (his mom and uncle's) and a fresh mower for ours. He was exhausted and went to hang out with his friends, I got home and decided "I'll do the outside of the fence and then as much of the front as I can with the gas that's left" and it turns out that even though he didn't refill it I had enough gas to finish the whole front! o_O That's snazzy. And exhausting. I'm so tired. lol But at least my work on the yards is done, and we got paid on top of that so I can replace the tablet money I took out for his Frank shoes! *swoosh*

Last night I got a bit wary about how this reciprocal gradient was going to work out, especially where time was concerned, so I only did an accent nail. If you've never seen one, check out this tutorial by Colette. Looks easy, right? It... kind of is.



I think hers looks better. lol It could be that she used three colors. I think it has more to do with the straightness and spacing of her stripe-lines. Also the stark contrast between her darkest and lightest colors. Still, not bad for a first try if I do say so myself. ;) I'm not going to leave you high and dry with just that. Last night I tried out my glue barrier idea!



That looks all kinds of wrong... I did have to go around the edge of my nail a few times with a toothpick to clean up spillage. Thankfully, though, it did stick long enough for me to finish the sponging.



Then a quick grab on the end with my tweezers...



And voila! No cleanup!



What?! Yep. Despite the extra time waiting for the glue to dry, I like this much better than practically soaking my fingers with acetone trying to get all that extra polish off. No little glitter specks all over the place, no staining. Awesome. Tomorrow I'm going to swatch Lily Bloom and... I'm going to try and remember the wicked cool art idea I had before I get to Madly Purpled... hrm... I know I had one... should have written it down... *shrugs* We'll see what happens. Oh! I finally got my 'returning subscriber' re-invite from Nail Art Society! They're charging for shipping now. :( *boo* Apparently they teamed with Orly for August so we'll see if it's worth it. If not I can always cancel and try out that BlackBox one. Which I kind of want to anyway, but.... I'm going to wait until I get my tablet before I start adding extra expenses. :p Hope everyone is having a fantastic (and relaxing) weekend!! :D

10 comments:

  1. OMG I JUST DID A RECIPROCAL MANI A COUPLE DAYS AGOOO
    great minds think alike hehehe
    Also did you apply the glue with a paint brush? That makes it easier because you won't get too much on your cuticles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG! That's awesome. :D I didn't think of using a brush... definitely would have made that a lot easier.... lol

      Delete
  2. OOOH new lawnmower and a reciprocal mani! So awesome! You're patient. I don't think I'd have the patience for a reciprocal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not too bad spreading it out over two days. The most tedious part is lining up the striping tape. -_-

      Delete
  3. Oh that is one gorgeous mani! It will be added to the list of things to do (that may happen one day, who knows!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh I hope you do! ^_^ It's so much fun to look at.

      Delete
  4. That looks really cool! And I am going to use your glue method next time I do a gradient :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! It takes a while to dry, but it's SO worth it. Especially if you're using something sparkly.

      Delete
  5. That mani is awesome!! I love the colors. And that wet glue picture....welllll...that could have gone a whole different way...lmao! At first I was like whaatt is that and when did this become R rated...lol. Yay for new mower!!! It almost makes mowing more enjoyable when you have a shiny brand new mower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO!!! Yeah, it just looked too inappropriate not to share. ;) Mowing actually was more enjoyable with a shiny new mower! ^_^ Especially the part where it started on the first pull. Aw.... It's kind of depressing when responsible things excite me. lol

      Delete

I love hearing from you!