Thursday, August 8, 2013

Maybelline: Blue Marks The Spot

So this one was kind of a total surprise. I was expecting a bit of milkiness to let the black and white glitters show through, but absolute sheerness?! Absolutely not. Blue Marks The Spot is somewhat buildable, but after three coats I was done. :p



Dry time was alright. I had to get dressed shortly after application, so topcoat and essence drops were involved, but Blue Marks The Spot was mostly dry to the touch before all of that. After.... 20 minutes? Give or take. The essence drops are pretty good, btw. Not as good as Julep's (love the scent), but better than Qtica. They didn't smell chemically (didn't really smell good, but "nothing" smell is better than chemicals, eh?) and the drops were thick enough to spread without getting all over my nails. They didn't offer a constant clackiness like the Julep ones, but they didn't get sticky like the spray-on stuff. So, better than average, but not phenomenal.



Where was I? Oh yeah, three coats of Blue Marks The Spot. There's enough going on with the glitters that the VNL wasn't too off-putting, but I think next time I'll layer this over a light grey. I tried really hard to be careful while applying so I didn't have to try and scrap glitter off of my fingers with my clean-up brush, but...



I ended up with the edges quite a bit more sheer than the rest of my nails. Now, I'm a bit stupid because I should have used glue as a basecoat (as Norma so valiantly tried to warn me), but... I didn't. *facepalm* Next time. Definitely next time.

My opacity testing showed Hello Marshmallow! to be acceptably opaque, so I think I'm going to go ahead and wear that tomorrow. If I'm feeling up to it I'll be adding some Hello Kitty stamping. I kind of feel like I have to. ;) Then I have to get one of those new reds out of the way or they'll end up sitting out forever. So, feedback! Which would you rather see next? Semi-sheer blood red or crayon red texture? Let me know! :D

Hope everyone's having a Happy Thursday! (^_^)"/"

17 comments:

  1. I like it, what a fun polish.
    I don't think I am getting the essence drying drops then, I feel like those things never work as well as they claim :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol Nothing ever does. ;) I had to give them a shot because the price is so reasonable and now I have something for when the Julep ones finally run out... *frets*

      Delete
  2. *wags finger* I warned you!

    Hehe great minds - right now I'm wearing drops of jade with a clearly spotted accent nail over sinful colors 24/7. Drops of Jade is a lot more opaque than blue marks the spot so if you aren't turned off of these yet, keep your eyes peeled. Cool idea to use a light grey as a base coat! I'll do that next time I rock Blue marks the spot :)

    Also some day you MUST mattify this! sooo cool matte!

    Humm I'll opt for semi sheer blood red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe You did, but it was just a smidge late. ;) I'll definitely keep my eyes open for Drops Of Jade. I don't recall if Walgreens had it (that was DAYS ago! lol), but if I see it I'll grab it. :)

      Delete
  3. Very pretty polish! Avon is coming out with polishes like these too in the next month or so, can't wait to try them. I'm with Norma lest see semi sheer blood red next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh man, Avon, too?! *dies* Going to have to check those out. hehehehe

      Delete
  4. I have one in shooting star the color looks the same but my one has good colour pay off in 3 coats. I wonder if it's the same color different name and formula ????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *buts in* I think the UK got a different formula than Canada/the US. I know the UK got this collection before we do and I was drooling over swatches. I wanted the blue and green the UK got but ours doesn't seem to have the same colour pay off :(

      Delete
    2. Hey! *butts back in* I... didn't know that. LOL Maybe those are the swatches I saw before because I definitely wasn't expecting it to be this sheer. I don't hate it, but dang...

      Delete
    3. *tackle hugs Lizzy* sorry Lizzy! Urgh oh yes the wounds are still fresh. I heard about the new Maybelline collection and I was soooo excited! The UK got em first so I started oogling blogs and I was like 'YES! NOW we're talkin!' I just LOVED their blue and green one. And then....*dun Dun DUNnnnnnn* we got the collection....and it sucked compared to what they got :( Just my 2 cents but I was super disappointed.

      Delete
    4. *teehee* No worries. ;) Mi casa es su casa. Also super sucks that royal mail is being a bunch of buttfaces over shipping polish! Buttfaces....

      Delete
  5. I have the green and pink and both were much more opaque (especially the green). I have swatches on my blog. Removal was horrible though! Sigh. This definitely need a coloured base I think though!

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hrm. Hopefully the purple will be more opaque than the blue. So weird, I didn't have any trouble removing it. lol Maybe because of the crummy, sheer formula. ;)

      Delete
  6. I love that!! Like Jasmine said, definitely a fun polish. I think a light grey would be good with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe I adore these black and white matte glitters. :D

      Delete
  7. It's a shame that it's so sheer! it's still real cute though, yes it would definitely look nice over a grey :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I couldn't believe it! Will be nice for layering, though. At least it wasn't difficult to remove.

      Delete

I love hearing from you!