Friday, August 23, 2013

Maybelline: Pretty In Polka +More Fishies

Today was definitely a busy day. Got up early and started getting ready (as opposed to sitting in bed playing video games until something happens lol), had to run out and grab stuff for the house and then we took my parents to the Asian Buffet for their anniversary. 36 years, if you can imagine. Good grief. I could not have put up with my mother for that long... :p

In the midst of my busy "let's get ready for today" morning I did have time to do my nails. I used one quick coat of Foil Me Once as an opaque base for Pretty In Polka. One coat, dried quick!



Since I was in such a hurry I tried to be as careful and meticulous as possible. This is exactly how everything looked after application. No clean-up. Not bad, eh? I mean... not perfect, but definitely wearable. lol



Absolutely loooooove black and white glitter! It makes my heart happy. ^_^

Got another email from Models Own. So soon? Yes, apparently. This time they're trying to kill us with glitter.



Glitter fireworks! Am I the only one who got instantly excited by the fireworks in the pictures? Stupid marketing schemes... :p

Had to run up to PetCo to get more algae wafers for his friend's pleco, while we were there we picked up some buddies for the neons to play with.



Black neons this time. I wanted the "glo-light" tetras (different from the blacklight responsive ones, glo-light look like regular neons except that their blue strip is bright orange), but they only had five of them and I would have wanted to get all five. These black ones are working out well, though.



They're going through phases of clumping with their own kind and mixing it up together. I'm having to keep an eye on the tank at the moment. It got up to 84 degrees so I unplugged the heater. Going to have to save up for one of those good ones with a temperature control dial on it.

Funny story. While we were at Asian Buffet I was, at first, a little agitated when they kept seating families (with little kids) right next to us. Ya know, because normally little kids make a lot of noise. Turns out today was different. All of the kids were really well behaved (I believe in giving credit when it's due), but the full-grown butthead behind us was another story. Talking loud enough to be heard from three tables away. About various real estate nonsense. Nonsense? Yeah, because even the people seated with him didn't care what he was talking about. I could hear them groan and give non-committal "uh-huh"s every so often. This guy... did not shut up the whole time. My parents knew I was agitated even before Aaron did. I kept staring at him (Aaron) trying to come up with a really good off-color joke I could tell at the same volume this guy was talking in to see if I could shut him up. Sadly my dad is a way better joke teller than I am and I just could not come up with one. So we just sat there, Aaron carrying on most of the conversation, me making faces at the guy (who was to my back) every now and then. All in all it was a fun time. Even the ride up was fun. My sister's been using my mom's van so we took my car. I let my dad drive so Aaron wouldn't be awkward in the back seat with him and I went on about how nice it was to be in the back seat being driven around and I should hire a chauffeur. :p As if I have that kind of money. lol

Doing a quick swatch-test. Tomorrow I'm going to pair Sage Smash with either Blue-Mmmm or Hello Summer!. Oh yeah, we didn't go to HEB today so I have to hope that the Ticket to Paradise polishes are still there tomorrow... *frets* For now I'm going to pop off Pretty In Polka and watch my new fishies for a bit. Gooz-frabba and all that. Hope everyone has a terrific weekend!

26 comments:

  1. Oh I love it with that foil underneath almost makes me wish I'd held onto mine! luckily there will always be more black and white glitter to love !

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping. ^_^ Or you may find it on clearance somewhere. I've noticed a lot of the Maybelline polishes on discount lately.

      Delete
  2. Yay!!! More fishies!! I love the polish choice for today. I love black and white glitter! What am I saying, I love any glitter...I am a sparkly kind of girl. so very sweet of you to take your parents out for their anniversary. While we dined tonight, we had the butthead kid. The parents were trying to reason with her and all she was doing was pitching a world sized hissy fit. She needed discipline. The real estate guy sounds very annoying. I would have pushed my chair back into him so it would distract him from talking a little bit. *sigh* HEB...one day we will meet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness. The problem with kids like that is the parents don't have any conviction. Take the child out until they can behave. Period. There really should be some kind of noise pollution law for indoors. If your child reaches a certain level then out out out! Bah. Hope you got to enjoy your food in spite of the hissy fit.

      Delete
    2. I totally agree about the parents. We didn't let Elexis act like that in any restaurant. If she did, we left. She learned quickly that if she wanted to eat out with the family, she had to behave.

      Delete
    3. Mine did the same thing! If we started acting up in the store; we went out to the car. Period. Behave or else. We very quickly learned to be on our best behavior in public. At home was a little more lax, but in public? Oh no ma'am. Straight arrows.

      Delete
  3. Wow 36 years! Good for them!!
    I hate people who are super loud and obnoxious in public places. My personal pet peeve is those people that talk super loud on their phone on the bus. :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness, no kidding! Then they get all defensive when people start looking. Dude, you may be on the phone, but you're still in public! -_-

      Delete
  4. hehe @ popping off your nails - isn't it the coolest? also LOL @ the glitter trying to kill us! Sometimes I think polish companies ARE trying to kill us...or our wallets anyway ... sooo many new collex coming out alllll the time!

    Congrats to your parents! Boo for annoying loud talkers. I have a coworker with an office RIGHT next to mine who is super loud/intrusive/extroverted. I hate working with her >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my wallet is definitely on life support. lol Doesn't help that after I get the tablet I'm going to have to start saving for a new computer. Sims... is also on life support. :( Definitely going to do some kind of massive polish haul first, though.

      hehehe thanks ^_^ Yeah, would be nice if people would tone it down just a touch.

      Delete
    2. Hey! What if you got one of those nifty tablet/laptop convertible jobs? Maybe it'd save you money in the long run? http://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Duo_Black_01_Hero.jpg <- for ex.

      Also why do things all seem to go on the fritz at the same time and need to be replaced and basically drop the People's Elbow on our wallets all at once? Eesh.

      Also x 2 - further flailing at polish companies - dude not only do they always have a new gimic, rediscovering an old gimic is always a 'threat'! I found a sinful colors magnetic in the bargain bin and was like 'ooh!' THEN I found some sally hansen magentics at the dollar store! I'm using them again and remembering 1) How ultra cool magnetics are (hehe also now that they're 'retro-ish' they appeal to me even more!) and 2) how frustrating using them can be!

      Delete
    3. OMG! You said "People's Elbow"! I was always kinda partial to Mankind as far as the Rock & Sock Connection. XD Seriously, I have no idea. I blame Murphy. The one I'm getting is kind of like that. I could get it for about $30 cheaper, but the one I have my eye on (thankfully still available) comes with the keyboard attachment.

      ....I hate you. (not really, you know I love you lol) I've been talking myself out of revisiting magnetics because I remember what a pain they are, but now I'm trying to remember this idea I had. Something about using the magnets to make a sort of anime face? AGH! I never grabbed an Orly magnetic, but they have one in the clearance bin at Ulta (with the magnet intact!) and I keep eyeballing it... I have a feeling it will be in my collection shortly. LOL

      Delete
    4. HAHA the rock and sock connection!!!!!! Omg LOVE IT! Mankind was so freaking awesome in that and the two of them were hilarious!! But aww yeah, I totally said people's elbow *preens* after finding those cheap magnetics I'm allll about the retro today baby hehe!

      Also hahahah OMG did I inadvertently enable you...again!? We are so sooo bad for each other! I agree soo hard magnetics are a pain to work with but when you get em to work MAN oh MAN so cool! Also the Sally Magnetics I fell into were $2! So weird I went from the dollar store selling them for that price to our Walmart and at walmart the SAME polishes were going for $8! That made me want to scoop up the dollar store polishes even more HEHE. I think I'm going back in a few days for the silver ones.

      I had no idea Orly put out magnetics! Hehe we're such bargain bin hounds. Usually if I start eyeing a polish in a bin before long it finds it's way into my stash. How on earth would you do a magnetic anime face? This I must see! Lizzy you MUST try to do this. Your loyal blog fans demand it! :p

      Delete
    5. OH MY GAWD! LIZZY did you know you can make your own magnets?!?! http://www.morenailpolish.com/2012/06/how-to-make-your-own-nail-art-magnets.html

      Delete
    6. BWAHAHAHA! Okay, you convinced me. I'll go through my magnetics swatches and see which one I mentioned it in and maybe that'll trigger my memory. ;) I do remember it was going to be an angry face... Yeah, Mankind and Rock were HILARIOUS!

      I think Orly only put out about three colors? That's how I remember it anyway. It was right towards the end when the excitement started to wane and people were all "omg another magnetic, those suck". *ugh* I wish trend supporters were as vocal as the haters.

      hehehe We're dual-enablers. That's why we get along so well. ^_^

      Delete
    7. I tried making my own magnet once and was super disappointed. I had high hopes because my nails are so curved (dome shaped, actually) that most magnet designs don't reach all the way around. I figured if it was pliable that would work better! It didn't... it worked great on my test, but I just couldn't get it close enough to my actual nail for the design to show up. *cries*

      Delete
    8. *gives my fellow enabler a high five* hehe! I'm excited to see this angry anime face!

      You said before somewhere about internet haters only wanting creams and duochromes or something. I so agree! I *get* it, these trendy things aren't for everyone...but let the rest of us enjoy them will you! I don't understand why people hate on textureds so much. Textureds make amazing low maintenance manicures! Yeesh if ya don't like textureds...or crackles...or magnetics...or ... well you get the point...then FINE but stop clogging up the interwebz with polish hateraid!

      Personally? I often find straight up creams boring. But I wouldn't flail around about it! Lots of people love 'em and that's fine! What I love about trends is if you don't care to follow a trend for the sake of just following a trend (like me, I'll hop on bandwagons but only if I like it just cause I think it's cool) then you can always revisit a defunct trend over and over again! I took a break from magnetics cause they're such a pain in the toosh to use but now that I'm all neon'd out (for now! ;p) I'm like 'yeah magnetics are tricky to use but so are neons! Those things are straight up divas!) hehe

      Delete
    9. Aw man that sucks about the homemade magnet :( My nails have a curve too and it's sooo hard to get the design on the sides too. On a few nails it just won't go...which made me wonder WHY polish companies didn't try to put out more flexible magnets? It'd make more sense to have curved magnets than straight ones

      Delete
    10. Exactly. Just go away and let us enjoy the trend. Or not. One day it'll be retro and they'll be all over it again for a week. I think people jump ahead to hating something just to be the first to hate it. :p "that's so last week" *blah* I actually inadvertently caught that on one 'big name' blog while searching for swatches. Happened that back to back I found "you know I'm not all that into magnetics" followed by an earlier post "omg I'm totally loving these magnetic polishes!".... -_- I'm sure I'm not perfect (*pfft* as if! LOL), but that's pretty fickle, imo.

      Delete
    11. I know, right?! Even ones that look like they might be curved are just flat with a curved guard all around so you can't see what you're doing.... *sigh* Reminds me... I need to pick up the second China Glaze magnet. LOL The first one actually was strong enough to get most of the way around.

      Delete
  5. Congrats to your parents for 36 years, that's awesome! Love you mani.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks ^_^ They definitely inspire me. Glad you like the mani!

      Delete
  6. Fun with more fishies! Love seeing the development of your tank! That restaurant guy sounds like a proper douche.
    I used to commute every day with this really super annoying guy. Quite young, and obviously thinking he was the bees knees. Every day when we were waiting for the bus he would speak really loudly on his mobile, talking about VERY IMPORTANT STUFF. Le sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL 'proper douche'. Oh I'm sure it was super important stuff. So important he couldn't use a normal tone of voice or it would lose all the importance! Or something.... -_- Whatever happened to common courtesy?

      Delete
  7. 2 of my fish died for no reason one was an albino and the other a celestial danio. I love fish but when they day for no apparent reason makes me so sad. My tetras phantom and neon so far so good :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw :( Sorry about your fishies. I'm glad the tetras are doing well so far. Are the phantom tetras kind of invisible so you can see through them?

      Delete

I love hearing from you!