Sunday, September 1, 2013

Water Inspired Water Marble Pt 1

Hello lovelies! I am loving this water marble so much I decided to extend it's wear. Today, just the marble. Tomorrow, embellishment. Good? Good. lol I got the original idea while we were at a small pet store in Temple. I wanted to incorporate flashes of bright colors to represent all the pretty tropical fishies, but... in the end I decided to just go with water.



First up, here are the colors I used:



Bahamian Escape, Shower Together and Hanging In The Balance. There is only a subtle difference between ST and HITB, but it's enough.



Ultimately I ended up using Bahamian Escape for every other ring to keep an even balance of light, alternating the other rings with Shower Together and Hanging In The Balance.



Go from the center up, then the center down to create lines out of the rings.



Then left-to-right-to-left-to-right for the watery waves.



Tried to line my nails up at more or less an angle to complement Part 2. I can show you the two pre-marbles that didn't quite turn out. They're on my right hand. :p



On my pinky there I've got Bahamian Escape alternating with Secret Peri-Wink-le. In the sun that one actually looks really good, but the SP didn't want to let the next ring expand properly and water marble works best when all of the colors cooperate. For my ring finger I used double Shower Together instead of Bahamian Escape and the overall effect was too dark. Last two fingers are the winning combination.

Tomorrow I'm going to add some 3D doodads, and possibly a light layer of glitter. :)

So I was surveying the tank and noticed quite a bit of debris along the gravel. So we picked up a gravel-vac and two albino cory catfish.



Teensy bit confused because they're supposed to be a relatively calm fish and they are just tweaking out! Even managed to coax the pleco out of hiding. o_O Found a website that said they do best in groups of five or more, but I only had one in my previous tank and it did just fine. *shrugs* Hopefully they calm down once they get a feel for the tank. Get down in that gravel fishies!! Between the bubble bar, the sunken ship and the filter there should be plenty of oxygen. I just did a water change so I'll give it a week or so before giving the gravel-vac a spin. Never had to do that before so it should be an experience. Once I get the water all cleared up I'll get some video. I will get this tank under control dangit!

One more day of this crazy four day weekend here. For those of you starting your week tomorrow: Enjoy your Sunday! For the rest of you: Party like there's no tomorrow! Safely, of course. I want to see you all back here! I've grown a little attached. lol Take care! (^_^)"/"

14 comments:

  1. wow amazing job! i haven't tried water marbling yet... I should though but it always looks so hard (but cool!)

    writingwhimsy.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not really *hard*, but it can be very frustrating. Everything I learned I got from here:

      http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9897F44C750F9766

      My best advice is to use filtered or bottled water, and make sure it's about room temperature. That seems to work best. Good luck!

      Delete
  2. So pretty!!!!!

    Those fish look kind of creepy. Albino things creep me out. Are the two catfish going to grow bigger?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think they're going to get too much bigger. I hope not anyway, as it is they're pretty big compared to the ones I used to see. o_O Still spazzing out all over the tank, too... I think I got tweaker fish... lol

      Delete
  3. first 2 days the albinos are a bit crazy keep jumping up and down after that they calm down. they are lovely fish very good worker cleaning the tank :)The water marble looks very good I tried once but failed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Thank you. I was starting to worry about them. They do seem a little calmer, but still making laps around the tank. Hope they don't hurt themselves before calming down.

      You should try water marble again! Once you find polishes that work together it's pretty amazing.

      Delete
  4. So, I have a crap ton of questions on this technique. Do you start out with a small dish of water and then add your colors? Also, how did you dip your nails and not wind up a smurf? All my fingers and possibly hands would have been blue....I am very intrigued by this and I really want to try it. It is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *flies in like a superhero* Have no fear! Lizzy is here!! *ta-da* :p Everything I learned about water marble technique I learned here:

      http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9897F44C750F9766

      I use room temp bottled spring water (if you have a water filter at home you can use filtered water) in a little white "solo" cup. About the size of bathroom dixie cups. I don't know if they still make them, but like the kind that used to have cartoon characters on them? About that size. I think Colette's cups are a little bigger, but I find the smaller one helpful for polishes that don't *quite* spread as smoothly. She's really good about tagging and linking in her videos, but just to make it easier, she also has a 'tips & tricks' playlist:

      http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4B6CE9EFF85ED1C1

      Delete
    2. Yay! I have some of those cups sitting in my bathroom (they have cute little owls on them). I cannot wait to try this out. I hope it looks as good as yours. If not, your going to have to dust off your cape and fly a little further north! haha! We have ozarka water delivered to the house, because our tap water smells like a swimming pool.

      Delete
    3. Yikes! Swimming pool tap water is definitely no bueno. lol I wouldn't drink it either. Ours is fine for drinking, but has too many minerals for water marble. Best of luck!! :D

      Delete
  5. Woooow this looks awesome Lizzy! It really looks like light reflecting off the water :D you know I'm jelly of your water marbling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I bet it would look spectacular on your nails!! All that space to work with. *dies* I have visions of water marbled claws dancing in my head. ^_^

      Delete
  6. OOH the marble is beautiful!! How long did it take?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. ^_^ Uhm, I don't remember exactly, but not that long. Once the polish is in the water it helps to work quickly so it doesn't dry. ;)

      Delete

I love hearing from you!